coming & going: what's happening now.

Hi :)

I have my mom visiting with a special guest, my baby niece, Selah.


They came up for my cousin's wedding and I got to babysit since kids weren't allowed. A whole day with a fifth teenyterror was fun. We went & got our haircuts, shocked my brother in law because he came up to visit...he thought I had a secret pregnancy...LOL...

On Sunday we went to hear my Grandma preach at my childhood Church In Queens, NY. Afterward, we went to an Ecuadorian restaurant with the grandparents, my 3 uncles, my cousin & her DH, and mom. Eating there and seeing the menu was so reminiscant of childhood...and eating at my grandma's dining room table.

So I had this:
This dish is called Guatita and you can find a recipe here. This is sooo delish!!! YUM!!!
My hubby and I split this at the restaurant, but the one with Chicharron....and all I can say is OH-EM-GEEE!

when I got home, I asked my mom to teach me how to make this:

I think I got the gist of it, but I wrote down the recipe as I watched my mom cook. My family was asking for seconds! This was my fave childhood soup...it was a big deal when grandma made this.

Tonight my mommy made me this:


These photos are "borrowed" from this website: Laylita's recipes. She does step by step photos in her recipes, which I think is wonderful that way if you're not sure, all you have to do is look.

This weekend has brought me so many fond & delicious childhood memories...and it has prompted me to try and learn how to make these dishes for my own kids...it feels good getting in touch with the Ecuadorian side...as I have been cooking mainly Puerto Rican dishes. I am pleasantly surprised that my husband has been enjoying these meals and is encouraging me to learn and make them. He wants me to make a new dish every week. :)