Author INTERVIEW: Daniel A. Cohen

Daniel is the author of Masters of the Veil, which is an awesome book that you should totally read if you haven't already. My review is probably going to up at the end of this month, so keep your eyes peeled, m'kay?

Oh, I know you will. Believe me, darlings, this is the author of a book worth reading.


Hello, Daniel! Welcome to Sparkles and Lightning!
Nice to be here.
What’s something about yourself that you haven’t shared with any other blogs?
I understand that you’re a John Mayer fan (I do my research), and I’m a huge fan myself. [Annabelle's note: Dude, I am so totally impressed right now. If you could see my face it would be like a beam of shock and happiness and being impressed.] I’ve listened to Continuum too many times to count and the song “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room” gets me every time.
Describe Masters of the Veil in one word.
Tenacity. It’s the best way to describe how MOTV came to life.
How similar is Sam to yourself? Were you a lot like him in high school?
Sam and I were pretty much polar opposites in High School. I mostly kept to myself and I was terribly shy around women. Plus, I was a musician (shout out to my boy, Glissandro!). I did play sports, but they were the kind of sports that people only come to watch at gunpoint: Swimming, crew, ballet—DID I SAY BALLET? [Annabelle's note: Now I am even more impressed. I happen to know nine amazing guys who ballroom dance, but I think only like one of them would be caught dead ballet dancing. I am so, so, so impressed and happy right now.] *Nervously tugs collar* Um, I meant lumberjacking yeah, lumberjacking.
One of my personal favorite parts of Masters of the Veil is the villainy. I love how realistic the villains are. What inspired them?
I guess the Tembrath Elite weren’t really inspired by any group of villains in particular. They just kind of appeared in my mind one day. But I will say that the villainy in the sequel is even more intense. If you liked the Tembrath Elite, then just wait until you see the antagonist in the next book. 
Will we ever learn more about what the Veil really is? Or about what’s behind it?
Yup.
Oh, you want details :)
Well, I’ve just about wrapped up the sequel, “Children of the Veil,” and as far as the Veil goes, the next installment of the trilogy is definitely revealing. PUN!
Are any of the events in Masters of the Veil influenced by something that happened to you?
Absolutely. I wrote MOTV during the darkest period in my life. Creating this story is what got me through some pretty nasty stuff, and even though the book is mostly lighthearted, I used this novel to challenge some of my fears and misgivings about life. The reenactment scene in particular was inspired by what I was feeling at the time.
Do I see the beginnings of a love triangle?
Maybe ;)
So, your characters have the best names. How do you name them?
THANK YOU! I’m so glad you noticed because I put a lot of thought and effort into each one of my character’s names. Whether it’s a play on a historical figure, a celestial body, something from a different language, or any meaningful tidbit I can dig up, I try to give my characters names with a little something beneath the surface. [Annabelle's note: I love seeing that all these names are so well-thought-out! Sooo impressive!]
After this series is finished, do you have any plans for what you’re going to write next?
Last year I started a novel that I was really getting into, but I put it aside so I can concentrate on the Veil trilogy. I think I’m going to tackle that next. I always wanted to write my own fairy tale, and that’s what seems to be emerging. 
What was your inspiration for Atlas Crown?
When I lived in the Czech Republic, my friend Daniel Gaetani and I took a rickety old train into the countryside on a quest to find a place called Cesky Raj—which translates to “Bohemian Paradise.” We had no idea what we were doing, or even what we were looking for. We got to a town rumored to be next to it and we stupidly went out into the woods, no compass, map, or sense of direction. What we found, however, was the most incredible place I’ve ever seen. Hundred foot monumental sandstone pillars, with stone cities, lush green, and a castle built into the rock, like something out of a fantasy novel. So I put it in my fantasy novel :) If you Google Cesky Raj you can get a small taste, but the pictures don’t do it justice. [Annabelle's note: Cesky Raj is indeed beautiful, but they really don't do justice to how I picture Atlas Crown. Still, they are absolutely gorgeous.]
There aren’t many male authors in mainstream YA, although in my opinion there should be more. Was this ever a concern for you?
To be honest, I didn’t actually set out to write YA. I just kind of started writing, and it turned out to be for young adults. So I guess I never thought about it beforehand. I agree though, I think more guys need to tackle this genre.
What is the last thing you typed on your keyboard? (Aside from answering these questions, of course!)
An email to my wonderful editor, Kate Kaynak, about the Book Expo America next month. For those who don’t know, the BEA is like Disneyland for book people; and if you’re in publishing, or you’re a librarian, teacher, author, or blogger, I highly recommend going at some point. 
Thank you for dropping by, Daniel!
                  Thank you, Annabelle! It was a pleasure!

I love doing interviews! They are just so much fun. I could seriously do them like all the time. I even like the formatting part, which usually takes forever because my computer despite being fairly new is kind of dumb.

Ah, well, keep your eyes peeled for my Masters of the Veil review, roses!

Lovelovelove,