Of Poseidon: REVIEW

***FINAL RATING: 2.75 STARS***

CATCHALL 

Of Poseidon was far from perfect, but I still really enjoyed it and would definitely read it again if given the chance. It was fresh and fun and a really new idea. I loved its originality and it caught my attention instantly. It had myriad problems, but this didn't stop it from being enjoyable to me.

THE HERO 

GALEN
Holy everything, I want a Galen. Truth to be told I was already biased before actually reading this book, because I once knew a Galen who is awesome and nice and gives like the best freaking hugs ever. But anyway, I really, really, really loved Galen. He's so sweet but does the typical tough-guy persona to hide this, and that's so heartbreaking and lovely to see all at once. He's charming and enchanting, gorgeous and beautiful with dangerous eyes...I mean, what girl wouldn't want that? Galen is almost ridiculously hot, and hands down my favorite character in this book. He is like so freaking sexy that I'd push Emma into a shark's open jaws in less than a second to have a chance at him.

THE HEROINE 

EMMA
I was...okay with Emma. I didn't hate her with a burning passion or anything, but I won't be making her a BFF bracelet anytime soon, either. She has a great sense of humor and she's got pluck. She also seems pretty nice and bold without being overtly annoying about it. Unfortunately, she's like a mood ring and kind of a pushover when it comes to the feelings of those around her. She didn't really seem to have a distinct personality, and that's kind of necessary. She was kind of annoying, too, and conveniently forgetful.

THE PLOT 

This part of the book was pretty good.

It was an original, awesome mermaid Syrena story that drew me in and kept me interested throughout the entire book.

It was exciting and new, and I didn't feel like I'd read the same story over and over and over again, which of course is frustrating. That was really nice, and I was very impressed by this.

Yet some things were far too convenient.

And some things were random and unimportant and moreover, completely unnecessary.

Still, I did really like the plot of this book overall.

THE ROMANCE 

While I don't necessarily feel like this is instalove, I don't exactly feel like it's truly developed either. It's a tad underdeveloped and moves awkwardly. I liked seeing Galen's feelings and felt that those were much more real, but when it came to Emma I felt nothing. Her feelings didn't really strike me in the right way because of what was happening at the love-confessing moment. She seemed kind of immature about it and didn't really go about things in a good or even realistic way.

THE WRITING 

This was one of my main problems with the book. It had pretty good dialogue and lovely description and world-building, especially all the gorgeous underwater scenes. The writing itself was pretty and would have been acceptable excepting one thing. It switches POVS from Galen to Emma, which is not what I dislike especially and under different circumstances I could have really liked this. However, Galen's POV is in third person and Emma's POV is in first person. There are quite literally no words to describe how stupid and annoying I found this to be.

THE ENDING 

I actually thought this book ended in a really good note and I was honestly extremely impressed. It wasn't awful and I think there was definitely real thought put into what the best possible ending for this book would be. I think the execution was smooth and the ending really helped make this book for me.

WRAPUP 

Despite having certain problems, I really did enjoy this book immensely and I would definitely recommend it to some people, but not to everyone. I honestly loved this books and will definitely be reading any future installments eagerly. I think that with time, some mistakes will improve and there will be further development.

FINE.