Until I Die: REVIEW

Until I Die (Revenants, #2)
Amy Plum
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Source: Purchased
Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.
As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.
In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.
 
CATCHALL 
I'm not sure how this book managed it, but I enjoyed Until I Die even less than I enjoyed Die for Me. It was easily one of my least favorite books of all time, ever. Pretty much nothing happened throughout the book. It was honestly a chore to finish it. I wasn't impressed by Die for Me, but I was absolutely turned off by Until I Die. I didn't like it at all. Not only was it boring, it bordered on ridiculous. A ton of people sing these books' praises and I'm obviously in the minority here, but whatever.

THE HEROINE 
KATE
I didn't think it was possible, but somehow Kate manages to be even more of a Mary-Sue in this book than she was in the last. I actually kind of wanted to slap her at so many points throughout the novel. To begin with, she is so damn stubborn. She keeps on insisting she's right even when pretty much everyone else in the novel is saying that she isn't. And she usually isn't right. Also, of course she has wonderful intuition and because of her remarkable intuition manages to save the day at the very last minute possible. She is just…incredibly annoying. I couldn't stand her AT ALL. Alright, now this is bordering on rant territory so before this actually becomes and full-on rant I am going to stop.

THE LOVE INTEREST 
VINCENT
Yikes. I'm not sure what to think about Vincent. It isn't that I don't like him, because I do. I think he's a great person and an awesome love interest. However, I will never understand what the hell he sees in Kate and that unfortunately significantly lowers my liking and my respect for him. So, if I pretend that Kate doesn't exist (which would be awesome) I actually really, really like him. He's protective and sweet, but also strong when he needs to be. He can be bold but also knows when to stay silent. He's obviously intelligent, and basically an all-around wonderful character.

THE OTHER REVENANTS 
Or at least three of them
JULES
As far as I'm concerned, Jules is the saving grace of this novel and the only character I like completely. He's fun and funny, and so caring and fiercely loyal. I adore him. I really wish we got to know more about him, so I hope that he shows up more in future installments.
ARTHUR
I had mixed feelings about arthur, but I definitely liked him. He obviously has some problems, but overall I think that he's a pretty awesome character. I'm sure we'll see him again, and I'm definitely looking forward to it.
VIOLETTE
There was something wrong with Violette from the beginning, and I most definitely did not like her at all. I don't even know where to begin, and actually I won't say too much so thatI give nothing away. But just…ugh.

THE PLOT 
Well, this was boring. As aforementioned, nothing vaguely interesting ever really happens.

I mean, sure, every once in a while something interesting happened. But not really. The plot was incredibly predictable and it was impossible to believe that every freaking person in the book was so incredibly stupid. You'd have to be, to not see some of this coming. The ending was clear pretty much within the first fifty pages, and half the characters are so dense that no one suspects it coming. And when someone does, everyone ignores their warnings completely. (Idiots.)

I couldn't stand it. It was terrible.

So, yeah. I don't actually have much to say here. Boring, predictable…that about covers it.

THE ROMANCE 
The romance in this book was pretty much nonexistent as far as development goes. It was very static and uninteresting, and Kate and Vincent don't even really have much chemistry as far as I'm concerned. It's really, terribly awful, and the instalove that occurred in book the first has continued into book two. The so-called romance is just physical and a bit ridiculous.

THE WRITING 
It's really hard for me to get past Kate's annoying voice, and honestly, why should I? It's the authors job to create voices for their characters that draw in readers, particularly when using first person. The description I liked—it was gorgeous, I'll admit—but everything failed to enthrall me. The dialogue is dull, and it has no real dynamic. Honestly, it was nothing special at all.

THE ENDING 
The ending was pathetically predictable really. Not the very ending, actually, but the climax especially, not that it was really even much of a climax. However, while the very last part of the book was unexpected, it also caused a WTF moment worthy of Juliet Immortal. It was just weird and random and I have no idea where it's going to go, but honestly I do want to know.

WRAPUP 
I couldn't recommend this series, but as so many people like it, you're probably safe if you're going to read it. I will be reading the next book, because I do want to know what happens next. That is mostly the only reason. However, a part of me does hope that the last book will be significantly better and worthy of my liking. So, here's to hoping!

FINE.



**FINAL RATING: 1.85 RED ROSES**
tinytiny