Endlessly: REVIEW

Endlessly (Paranormalcy, #3)
Kiersten White
Publisher: Harper Teen
Release Date: July 24, 2012
Source: Purchased
Evie's paranormal past keeps coming back to haunt her. A new director at the International Paranormal Containment Agency wants to drag her back to headquarters. The Dark Faerie Queen is torturing humans in her poisonous realm. And supernatural creatures keep insisting that Evie is the only one who can save them from a mysterious, perilous fate.
The clock is ticking on the entire paranormal world. And its fate rests solely in Evie's hands.
So much for normal.
CATCHALL
Where do I begin? I loved the Paranormalcy series, but in my opinion it had some pretty serious flaws that I found impossible to overlook. To be fair to my rating I should note that by the time I read Endlessly it has been nearly a year since I've read Paranormalcy and Supernaturally. Still, that doesn't excuse everything that was wrong with this book. I did love it, but I also believe that it could have been much better.

THE HEROINE
EVIE
I don't dislike Evie. I really don't. I even like her. But I can't love her, because somehow I just don't connect with he very well the way I feel that I should. And that's kind of necessary. I don't dislike her. I just don't relate to her on any level. She's a girl. She's a teenager. She's in love. I feel like this is pretty much the only things we have in common. And that isn't enough for me. There's nothing outwardly wrong with her, but I just don't love her.

THE LOVE INTEREST
LEND
I know so many girls swoon over Lend, but I just find him to be so…boring. There's just not much meat on him. He kind of exists. And that's it. I just don't really feel anything for him. I wouldn't cheer if he died, but I wouldn't cry, either. He just isn't really anything special to me. However, I do find him to be annoying at times. Selfish. Stubborn. Blind as a freaking bat, and not in the literal sense.

THE FAERIE
RETH
I've always loved Reth, even though it's true that he has psychotic tendencies in the first two books. But in this book, it becomes perfectly clear that he really does care about Evie in his own weird way. I love that he's complicated, but not so hard to figure out that you get bored and stop trying. He has some seriously conflicting interests but in the end cares enough about Evie to let her do what she wants.

THE PLOT
So, as far as plot is concerned, Endlessly did pretty well. It was exciting. It held my attention and was crazily action-packed.

So why didn't I love it the way of should have, since all of this is true?

It just didn't feel like anything new. It didn't feel very original. It had a very "been there, done that" sort of feel to it. Empty. Hollow. Not special. And I just can't justify giving it a higher rating when it felt like this.

Too much like the first book, too much like the second book, too much like a ton of other YA books out there.

There were, of course, some pretty awesome moments that I loved, that definitely had that original quality about them. But the parts do not make up for the whole. This plot was faulted in many ways, and I can't completely forgive that. And that's fair.

And then there are some nonsense parts that I'm pretty sure were created for the sole purpose of making sure the book lasted longer. But moving on.

THE ROMANCE
The romance department was sadly underdeveloped in this book also, mostly because of a very stupid plot element that I hated. But so as not to spoil anything, I won't say just what it is. Just not so much development. I do like Evie and Lend together sometimes, but they don't seem to have much chemistry. Sometimes it sparks, and sometimes it just…doesn't. a bit lackluster. Boring.

THE WRITING
Kiersten's writing was a novelty the first time I read it, because it was new. Unfortunately for me, it started to get very old very fast. It sometimes tries to hard to be cute and Evie's voice seriously grates at some points. i started to get sick of it before, and now I'm completely tired of reading it. It's very juvenile and it sounds very awkward sometimes and the phrasing…please don't even get me started.

THE ENDING
Oh, boy. So, the ending was very neat and clean and fairy-tale-esque. I don't know…boring. It wasn't anything like what I expected and sadly I don't mean that as a compliment. I felt let down. Disappointed. This book could have been so much more. The ending could have helped make this book. Instead, it feels cheap and ill-contrived and was only unexpected because it was overly obvious.

WRAPUP
I wanted to feel about this book how I felt regarding the first two books, but I just couldn't. It felt very "same old, same old," and frankly, I'm sick of it. I don't know if this book even felt necessary. Honestly, this series probably could have been squeezed into two books or even one. It was just mostly a bunch of random, dragged-out fluff that ruined the series. I may or may not be reading Kiersten's future works—I'll need more info before I decide. And would I recommend this series? Honestly, no. Don't be fooled by the covers.

FINE.


***FINAL RATING: 2.70 RED ROSES***
tinytinytiny