Unearthly: REVIEW

*****FINAL RATING: 4.80 STARS*****

CATCHALL
Unearthly is probably one of the best, if not the best, angel books I've ever read. It was refreshingly original and I really enjoyed reading it. The characters have a sense of realness and emotion behind them, and the plot isn't annoying slow, but still keeps you guessing. And do I even need to mention the gorgeous cover?

THE HEROINE
I love Clara. I really do. She's probably one of my favorite YA heroines. She is a strong, confident girl who tries to do her best. She doesn't always succeed, but who does? She genuinely cares about other people. She isn't annoyingly perfect and seems very human, even though she is part angel. Clara is extremely relatable as a heroine and I adore her for it. I cannot wait to read more about her in future installments.

THE LOVE INTERESTS
CHRISTIAN
I am partial to the name Christian, so I am probably biased. But anyway, I found him extremely interesting. Yep, he kind of acts like a jerk a few times, and I don't like that at all. But he can also be very sweet. I found myself wanting to know more about him. I have a love-hate relationship with him at this moment, but I'm hoping that will change as time goes on. He's a bit clichéd at the moment, but we'll see. I still really, really enjoy reading about him.
TUCKER
Not gonna lie: Tucker is sexy. Very, very sexy. But kind of annoying at first. I'm not prejudiced or anything, but first impressions mean a lot to me and I hate the one he makes. But, I can forgive him for it. I have a friend who married this guy. The first time she met him, she told him she didn't like him and when he kept asking her out she thought he was weird. And now they're madly in love, so I can see how Clara and Tucker's relationship grows and changes. And I do love Tucker, I just wish he hadn't been quite such a jerk. But, ah, well, not everyone's perfect. And he grew on me fast. I love how he's not stereotypical and seems quite original.

THE OTHER SECONDARY CHARACTERS
JEFFREY
I found Jeff to be a very interesting character. Of course, it does not help that I am also partial to his name as well. But I believe if he had been named Roger (a name I cannot stand since being forced to read Lord of the Flies *shudder*) I would have loved him just as well. He's so intriguing, what with his wings turning dark and all. That definitely caught my interest, and I was disappointed that that wasn't explored more in this book. At least I will have the pleasure of looking forward to it and more of him. He made me laugh.
ANGELA
She has a big role as well, though I won't say what it is. But she's a beautifully written, well-thought-put character with an enjoyable personality but is obviously flawed. She seems very human. She's the type of girl you secretly want to be but would never admit it.
WENDY
She's a sweet, down-to-earth girl who cares about Clara immensely but is only human. She brings Tucker and Clara closer together, which moves the story along quite smoothly. She is not only functional but fun, and she made me giggle quite a few times.
MAGGIE
I did not like Clara's mother very much. I hate the "I'm keeping secrets from you for your own protection" thing. I'd much rather know the truth than live a lie, and no matter what the consequences, it is almost always safer to know. She rather irritated me, but she was obviously loving and trying her best, she I'm hoping she'll redeem herself.
SAM
Hmm… interesting. For a character with such a brief but important appearance, he has quite a lot of mystery and drama surrounding him. He seems haunted but also a slave to his nature, and it'll be interesting if we hopefully see more of that.
KAY
NO. Just, NO. She screams cliché.

THE PLOT
I subtracted no stars for the plot from my rating. The plot was well-thought-out, original, and very attention-grabbing. I was never once left bored, and I read with such a fury that I burned through the pages very, very quickly. It does't move to slowly but it also does't go so fast that you're totally confused as to what's going on. The ideas and events happen in an order that makes sense. The story isn't monopolized with pointless chapters where nothing happens; everything is relevant. There's enough information left untold for a sequel but not so much that you get overly frustrated. The plot is unlike that of any other book and for that, I love it. I also read this book out loud to a little girl I was babysitting. Yes, I skipped the somewhat sexy parts. Anyway, she loved it too.

THE ROMANCE
Clara and Tucker developed as a couple in a way that made sense, progressing through natural stages. Definitely no annoying insta-love. They have such a sweet romance once it begins but it doesn't monopolize everything and leaves the plot to continue. Of course, their romance alone is a huge plot point. I love the fact that it never feels thrown in my face. It's definitely there, but I don't have to hear about every single tender moment. Clara's relationship with Christian is interesting to follow as well. As first it seems like they will undoubtedly be together, but as the book progresses this is cast into doubt. Their romance, if you could call it that, fluctuates and changes throughout. Several interesting twists are thrown in as well. Their relationship is developed beautifully as well and is not annoying or overly clichéd.

THE WRITING
This novel is written in Clara's voice, which is beautifully written by Hand. Her writing style is pretty but not overly poetic and is easy to understand. There's not too much detail, and no obvious evidence of her having to try too hard. Contemporary language flows across the page and matches the way young people speak today instead of being outdated. The writing is accurate and descriptive. Hand's writing is not immature and it does not sound inexperienced.

THE ENDING
The ending will leave you wanting more. Desperately, because I know that's how I felt. It's beautiful, but leaves you hanging. I must admit I really did not see it coming but I wasn't too shocked when I read it. It made sense with the way the story had progressed and felt well-thought-out and not thrown in. I loved the element of surprise.

WRAPUP
Of course I will be reading Hallowed! Unearthly left me absolutely dying for it. I will be reading it as soon as is possible with a vengeance.

FINE.