Obsidian: REVIEW

Obsidian (Lux, #1)
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Source: Emily @ Doodle's Book Blog
Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is.
 
CATCHALL 
Most of the absolutely awesome things to say about this book have already been said, and yet of course I feel the need to throw my two cents in. This book was awesome, just like everyone says. i mean, it was unbelievably awesome. Aliens are something new and fairly unheard of in YA, except in cases like I Am Number Four, and likely in the last installment of the Across the Universe trilogy. Yet the Lux series is certain to blow them all away. This book was absolutely incredible, and undeniably awesome.

THE HEROINE 
KATY
Katy was an awesome heroine. Not only is she a dedicated book blogger (win!) but she's strong and determined and never lets anyone bring her down. But she's also not stupid. She doesn't just go around barging into things and potentially getting people killed. She also is a very realistic character and actually has a reaction upon discovering that Dee and Daemon are aliens. She's intelligent and sensible, all without being at all boring.

THE LOVE INTEREST 
DAEMON
Mmm. What is there even to say here? I mean, every single girl knows he's sexy. Am I right, ladies? Despite the fact that he acts like a jerk for so much of the novel, it's pretty obvious that that isn't really what he's like underneath. The brief glimpses we get of what he's really like inside only made me want to get to know him more.

THE FRIEND 
DEE
Dee was such a sweet and energetic person that it was really impossible not to adore her. She's always nice to everyone, but especially to Katy. She has a good heart, and she really cares about people. An all-around awesome character, really!

THE PLOT 
Obsidian is completely action-packed. It seems so much like there's something happening every single second. When I picked up this book I intended to read only a few chapters, but as it turns out once I started I was physically unable to stop. It drew me in completely and I really felt like I was a part of everything that was happening.

So much was revealed in this book, and even though it seemed to take a painfully long time, everything actually developed fairly quickly. There was just so much going on! This was not a slow-moving story by any standards, and especially not mine. It was the epitome of perfection as far as pacing goes.

And the idea! Oh, it was so magnificent. It's totally unique and really fresh, and different than anything I've ever read. These aliens are incredible and awesome and yet not so fantastic that it's ridiculous. I did think they were a bit too powerful for my taste, because that just seemed unrealistic and kind of like a crutch. But that's just me.

Still, to-much-powerness asidem the plot of Obsidian was a ton of fun! The events that occur are relevant to one another and they make perfect sense. They aren't ever random or pointless. Even if they seem to be at some point, they end up being important later.

Obsidian's plot was spectacular, and basically just one of my favorites ever.

THE ROMANCE 
Obsidian had awesome romance between two characters with chemistry so intense it practically oozes through the page. The sparks are strong between Katy and Daemon, and also undeniable. They obviously have a connection beyond the superficial and if they could both agree to give it a chance at the same time, of course it would be explosive. I love the romance. It actually develops realistically, and there's no sign of instalove anywhere.

THE WRITING 
Jennifer has some of the most amazing writing in the world. It's first person, but somehow it really works for this book. Katy has a spectacular voice. She is every girl. Every teen, even. It makes her such a connectable character. Not only that, but the description is lush and lovely. It's so easy to picture Daemon & company in alien form. And the dialogue, especially the banter, just glitters. the humor is peerless and gave me myriad laughs. Undoubtedly some of the best writing I've ever read!

THE ENDING 
Obsidian ended on the perfect note. The plot was resolved, and yet a twist was thrown in that meant there was more to come. Everything wraps up nicely, and even though it actually confused me a little bit, it was still the best ending. I was very impressed with it and couldn't have done better myself. Obviously there was a lot of thought put into it, and I definitely can appreciate that.

WRAPUP 
Obsidian is easily one of my all-time favorites, with a special place in my heart. Especially for Daemon. but anyway, I really did love Obsidian, and I wish I'd read it sooner! Still, at least I have now. It's easily high on my list of recommendations, and I truly think that this book will appeal to most people! Love, love, love!

FINE.



*****FINAL RATING: 4.90 RED ROSES*****
tinytinytinytinytiny